Home Again. Home Again.

So Billy is HOME... finished serving our country and back in the Smith fold. It's been a week since we arrived after our grueling drive from North Carolina to Texas. So we are officially in our "new normal" with both feet.

I'll be honest...I was a bit nervous about this whole transition. Besides the normal excitement of having all my chicks back in the nest, I felt anxious.  Billy's been with us for a few weeks at a time, but he's never lived with us full time. He's never been here when we were just going about our business of living: homework, carpooling, sleepovers, grocery shopping, etc. Part of me was worried that we wouldn't be what he'd hoped. And part of me worried that I'd kill him.

You'll be happy to hear that it's all going smoothly as far as I can tell. (He may disagree. You'd have to get his "side" of the story to know for sure.) He found a place to put all of his stuff. He is working toward getting registered for spring classes, finding a job and seems to dealing with being stuck in a house with his old fogey parents quite nicely.

I haven't even felt an overwhelming desire to tell him what to do! (That in itself is amazing.)

The girls don't seem to feel a change at all. The leftovers are getting eaten rather than thrown away. And anytime I need a vanilla diet coke while I'm slaving away at my office.... TA DA.... I get one! (I know. I know. Kerry always brings them to me too. But now I have TWO people doing it.)

It's just..... normal. No surprises. No strangeness. No frustration. (Ok....maybe there was a tiny bump in the road...but I still maintain NO ONE should be coming in at 3:30 am on Wednesday morning and being loud about it.)

It's a family together. Just the way it should be. A completely ordinary family happily existing under one room (most of the time) as though it was never any other way.

Don't you love how God does that?




Comments

Popular Posts