Let's Do Lunch

"Good friends are like stars.... You don't always see them, 
but you know they are always there"

Today the girls, a couple of their friends and I got to have lunch with Jason. It's been months since I've seen him. We talk on the phone and keep up with each other as much as our crazy schedules allow, but life gets in the way. Between business meetings, kids, his chemo schedule...and other unpredictable things in our lives, we normally just hit the highlights when we talk. So lunch was really special. Time to actually catch up and share a little more than usual.

I can't tell you how good it was to see him. Just being in the presence of those who know you best makes everything seem better. And being with one of those who is battling incredible odds with the most positive attitude possible is even better. He has handled his illness with such courage. It makes me so proud to be his friend. (And since he won't toot his own horn, I'll tell you that his next stop after being with us was a cancer center to give some gift cards to someone battling cancer too that can't afford Christmas gifts. How great is THAT?)

Under the laughter and joking - and his quick-witted teasing of me that my children LOVED witnessing - was that magical place created by years of friendship. Each of us soaking in the love and care we have for each other. Basking in the comfort that comes with longevity. And knowing that we could fall back into the same roles we had as teenagers going to lunch every day and laying in the floor watching horror movies on the weekends. Such a great time!

Saying goodbye was oddly hard for me. It's not like we will go forever without seeing each other. Or like one of us is moving across the glove. But I've been on the edge of tears ever since. 

Part of my melancholy mood was brought on by my worrying about his health. He looks good and seems good. Nothing has changed recently with his treatment plan or tumor growth.  But that doesn't mean I won't worry. I don't want my best friend to be sick. I don't like that his long eyelashes are thinner and his face is a bit more gaunt. (It doesn't help that he's been tall and lanky his whole life anyway... practically a string bean!)

The other part is just plain ol' missing my friend. Seeing him makes me realize how much I miss hanging out with him. In fact, we are already planning the next get together. I imagine it will include Cathy (the 3rd part of our triumvirate), movies and a lot of laughter.

I can hardly wait.




Comments

Popular Posts