Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep....

Isn't it funny the things that stick with us from childhood?  I CANNOT begin my bedtime prayer without first saying the "Now I lay me down to sleep..." prayer. It's like it sets the stage for everything I'm going to say. If I just try to start talking to God at night, it doesn't feel right.


My mother taught me to say my prayers like that. And I have to say, I taught Gracey to say hers in the same way. Sadie...not so much. I need to get busy with that since she's almost 10! (Getting her to sleep at all was such a feat when she was little that the small things went by the wayside.)


With some new developments on the horizon, I have some new prayers to add to my repertoire. They are specific to our sweet Marine who is so far away from home.  (I don't want to alarm anyone - he swears he's perfectly safe. But safe to him is very different than safe to me!)

 I can't go into details, but I've definitely increased my already fervent prayers for his safety and quick return. I hope you will do the same for me.


Here are my new prayers:

Dear Lord,

Give me the greatness of heart to see the difference 

between a mother's love and duty to country.

Give me understanding that I may know, 

when duty calls them they must go.
Give me a task to do each day,
 to fill my thoughts when they're away.

And Lord, when they're in a foreign land, 
keep them safe in your loving hand.

And Lord, when duty is in the field,
 please protect them and be their shield.

And Lord, when deployment is so long, 
please give me the support to remain strong.
Amen.


And another one....

Oh Lord please keep my Marine tonight
Close by Your guiding hand of might
Give him the strength to carry on
When all is dark and hope is gone

Help him to trust and have no fear
For You are watching ever near
Let him know he's not alone
Your light will always lead him home

He's rough and tough no emotions show
But God he's just a boy, you know.
He claimed the title and wears it proud;
Says he's the best and says it loud.

And though someday he'll guard Your heights

Lord, please bring him safely home tonight.

*Thanks to my MMs for these great prayers...

Comments

  1. That made me tear up! Love these prayers! I'll say them too for you and your family!

    xoxo

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts