Guuurrrllll....

“Life is partly what we make it, and partly what it is made by the friends we choose.” 
~ Tennessee Williams

I've always considered myself a "guy's" kinda girl. Relating to boys always seemed so much easier for me because boys just say what they think and move on. There are no games in their friendship. They are usually straightforward and dependable. And I've successfully surrounded myself with GREAT guy friends. (And I only dated and married ONE of them - so that When Harry Met Sally theory doesn't hold true for my life!) I don't know what I'd do without my guy friends - and I don't ever want to find out....

But as I've matured (That's a nicer way of saying aged, right?)... I've come to appreciate the women in my life so much more. Most of us have outgrown the petty games. Or maybe I've surrounded myself with only 'quality' girls. Whatever the reason...I am blessed beyond measure to have girlfriends who I can trust and who can trust me.

If I am stressed out and can't see the forest for the trees, they will help me take a step back and see that bigger picture. 
I'll never forget our air conditioner breaking last summer and being sick to my stomach about how we were going to pay for it to be fixed. Randi invited us over for dinner just to get our minds off it. She didn't have to say a word. She just provided the fellowship we needed to take a breath and realize that everything would be ok. I sat at the bar across from her in tears....so incredibly thankful to have such a great friend who quietly held me up in my worry.)

When I get angry and just need to blow off steam, they will listen and not take anything I say too seriously.
I can't count the number of times I've called Mandy to gripe about something that's happened in my life that I just needed to complain about. She listens to me - lets me get it all out - commiserates while I cuss - and always ends up making me laugh afterwards! What would I do without her?

When I have a secret, I know I can go to any of these women and they will keep it in confidence. And I will keep theirs.
Obviously they are SECRETS.. so I have no examples to share here. However, it is safe to say that when you have something you need to discuss that you don't want making it onto the 6 pm news cast, those confidantes are of utmost importance.  Sometimes it's a little thing (a health scare you just can't bring yourself to discuss) and sometimes it's a big one, but a secret is a secret. Sometimes it's even a secret about a secret!! I just know that without those women in my life that I can rely upon, I'd have a bleeding ulcer from shouldering my secrets alone. So to those of you secret keepers out there - you know who you are! THANK YOU!!!

My girl friends rally better than any cheerleading squad. And I'd put them up against any hard core gang to defend me at all costs.

To that end - I'll just say this:  I can't imagine my life with my "girls"!





Comments

Popular Posts