Oh Pooh...

I love words. And I love finding words that others have spoken to describe what I think or feel. The wisdom I find in other people's words makes my heart sing. It obviously goes hand in hand with my reading addiction and my love of libraries. Words breathe life into my world. Written, sung or spoken. I learn something when I stop to really "hear" words.

And in my lifelong quest for the right words, I have landed on this truth:

A lot of life's truths can be learned from Winnie the Pooh.

Quit rolling your eyes.

I'll prove it.

(By the way, for those of you who aren't big readers, you might not realize that I'm not the first to feel this way. There are actual books of these kinds of realizations. So don't judge!)

To start with Winnie the Pooh is never afraid to express his feelings. He always does it with careful consideration and in the nicest way possible. He offers sound advice without being too harsh. He leads by example.

Oh...I know he's often overly optimistic. But it's what makes me love him! (PS. Randi.....you have some of Pooh's most awesome personality traits. Just working on this blog made me realize that!)

I'm going to share some of my favorite Winnie the Pooh quotes/lessons. Feel free to share any of yours too!

"You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes." - How many times do we feel left out because we expect someone to greet us and make us feel special, when maybe we set ourselves up to be excluded because we didn't even bother to step through the door?

"A simple hello would do, thank you very much." - Such a nice way of saying "HELLLOOO???" haha I say it in my head a lot differently than he probably says it. But isn't it a great quote?

"If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you." - THIS is one of my all time favorite quotes, because it succinctly describes how I feel about my inner circle. If I love you, you already know this.

“It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?"Such a great reminder that sometimes just making sure we are staying on each other's level about something will make a huge difference in the response we receive. Of course, I love a good intellectual conversation as much as the next person, but sometimes I want to just "shoot the bull" and talk about simple things too. Don't you?

“Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind. "Pooh," he whispered.
"Yes, Piglet?"
"Nothing," said Piglet, taking Pooh's paw, "I just wanted to be sure of you.”
We all need reassurance. Sometimes we need to hear a voice - or hold a hand - or see a face for no reason other than to know he or she is there. And that's ok.

"Don't underestimate the value of Doing Nothing, of just going along, listening to all the things you can't hear, and not bothering.” - For all of you energizer bunnies...this means to SLOW DOWN. It's ok to do nothing once in a while.

See? A fount of knowledge that ol' Pooh. 

“Always watch where you are going. Otherwise, you may step on a piece of the Forest that was left out by mistake.” - In other words, "Charee! Stop to smell the roses!"


Comments

  1. Sweet Charee. I love your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Before I tell you what I'm going to tell you, I have to explain that Marine pilots aren't like Air Force pilots who get callsigns like Viper and Stryker - they get funny ones based on their name, an embarrassing moment or character trait. For example, one guy was caught carrying a "pouf" with his soap coming from the shower, and was from then on dubbed "Loofah" - Captain Imhoff was, of course, "Jack". You get my drift....) Anyways - Troy is Pooh. So I have cards with almost all of these sayings on them. I'm glad he is Pooh instead of Beavis.....the cards you can get are a lot sweeter. : )

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts