Counting Blessings of Great Measure

"The secret of happiness is to count your blessings 
while others are adding up their troubles."

I'm rarely at a loss for words. (*Key to good blog is stating the obvious? Hmmm....)

And while I am often moved beyond words, I don't often get overwhelmed with emotion with many people around. I am a big cry baby for sure. But I really only cry in the midst of those I know very very well.

But Monday I wasn't able to help myself when my mother in law surprised me with her aunt's ring. She said since my birthday fell on 12/12/12 - a date that only occurs every 1,000 years - she thought it was the best time to pass down the ring that had been given to her by Aunt Lura. 

I won't go into a really long explanation of Aunt Lura, but a few things about her are:

  • She was Kerry's great aunt who was more like a grandmother to him than anything else.
  • She made her own creamy corn and thought I was crazy for asking how she did that. The look she gave after that question is still hilarious to us.
  • Her canning of vegetables and plum jelly as well as her love of the kitchen rivaled mine, but her biscuits were always cooked at 500 degrees fahrenheit.
  • The beauty shop attached to her house was always a highlight for funny picture taking when you got bored in Lindsay, Oklahoma
  • Her bathroom was ENTIRELY pepto pink. From the toilet paper holder to the washcloths.
  • And...most of all.....I adored her. 
To be given the honor to wear the ring Aunt Lura wore for so many years just overwhelmed me. I couldn't speak from the joy of it, but my heart just ached to hug her one more time. It is such an amazing gift that I will cherish the rest of my days.

That night I went to sleep with her on my mind, and the next morning I woke to realize just how loved I am. I don't usually think about how much I am loved. I worry more about the ones I love being aware of my feelings for them. And that they are being loved the way they deserve to be loved. (It's that "fixer" in me....can't help myself.)

But putting on Aunt Lura's ring reminds me of the love in my life and the love of those who came before me. The love I have been shown in big and small ways that I don't always appreciate or notice. The love that is carried down through generations. I truly believe the love we feel and show for others manifests itself in those to whom it is given.

And I am one lucky girl. Because the unbelievable amount of love bestowed on me is more than I could ever imagine. 

So......all of that to say...... it's been a great birthday. 12/12/12 may not come around for another 1,000 years, but whomever celebrates it down the love line from me will be showered with blessings. 

Now, to round this Aunt Lura post out, I present to you a look and feel of being in church with her at a tiny Church of Christ Church. Feel free to sing along. Those around you will love it, I'm sure...




Comments

Popular Posts