Silver Linings and Golden Opportunities


“Gratitude turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, 
chaos into order, confusion into clarity...it makes sense of our past, 
brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow.” ~Melody Beattie

I know 2020 has been rough. So many people have fallen ill and lost those they love. So many businesses have struggled. We've all seen the memes. It's not been the prettiest of years. Pandemics are rough. But for us, the Smiths in our little bubble, 2020 has been healing. It's given us the pause we needed to regroup and refocus. To spend time intentionally with those closest to us. 

Don't get me wrong, we've also faced some unexpected challenges (because that's just how we roll). But we have found so many moments of peace and joy along the way that I can only feel a sense of gratitude. Yes, we lost a lot in 2019. And that will forever be part of our stories. However, we have found a lot in 2020's silver linings.

If you think I'm brave, you should meet my kids. Seriously, the resilience I have seen in them has given me a glimmer of hope that somehow we got it right when we raised them! (And trust me when I say that I could fill a book with all the Parent of the Year awards we did NOT get for doing the wrong things.) I've seen it more clearly in 2020 than I ever thought possible.

Gracey has been such a rock. She's been strong when I've been weak. She's been calm when I've been stormy. And she's been soft when I've been hard. We've decided she's the kid who handles emergencies and stress of others the best. (But if it's her emergency.... Katy bar the door... she'll lose it.) She's a firecracker, and she's all mine. I am thankful for her every day! 

Sadie's growth and maturity knows no bounds. She didn't let last year's "worst freshman year ever" stop her from going back to college with vim and vigor. She joined Zeta Tau Alpha right before she came home for the COVID crap, and she jumped in with both feet. She's an officer now and has found her tribe. Three of her sorority sisters are in the "Dead Dad Club", and the rest of her close friends in the house are the best support system she could ever find. The spring and summer really gave her a chance to adjust to the shift in storyline. I'm amazed at how well she's coping and moving forward. She's an inspiration and wise beyond her years. 

Billy moved back to town, excels at his job, and makes being a daddy look easy. He's always ready to help me when I need something and has shown such growth this year. I know his heart aches to ask his dad questions, but he has been amazing. AND they welcomed Oliver Martin into their family last week. He's all of 4 pounds, 11 ounces - but he's already a fighter like his daddy. We are in love! I am so proud of the man Billy has become. His little family is finding its way, just as we all had to find our way when we became adults. 

As for me, I have settled into my work-from-home life and learned that I have to take control of my life. This pandemic gave me the space I needed to see that I can't sit and wait for others to reach out to help me fill my time. That's on me. If I want to go to dinner with a friend, I call or text. If I want to talk through something, it's my job to reach out. No more sidelines or pity parties unless it's in the bathtub or bed! I want to live. I intend to love. And I certainly plan to laugh. I'll meet new people and find adventure....look for the golden opportunities. I won't sit still and wait for things to happen around me. 

I hope as you read this you reflect on the things 2020 did RIGHT for you too. I know we aren't done yet. There's one more month to endure before we can close this year out, but 2021 has fresh pages in its chapter. We have no way of knowing what will fill them, but they will no doubt be full of memories. As for me and mine, we plan to fill them with fewer tears and many more laughs. 

Comments

Popular Posts