Hope Springs Eternal... Literally

Follow my blog with Bloglovinin
Hope is not the conviction that something will turn out well but the certainty that something makes sense, regardless of how it turns out. ~ Vaclav Havel

Easter is upon us. And today, we Christians recognize Good Friday, which wasn't good at all. In fact, it was probably terrible, because it's the day when Mary, the Disciples, and all of Jesus' followers were in shock with devastation and fear. 

But as followers who don't live in the Biblical times where, we weren't there for the uncertainty and blind faith. We already know how the story ends. Instead, Good Friday is when we begin to celebrate the Resurrection. With that comes celebration and hope.

Last year I don't even really remember Easter. I know the world was closed down because of the pandemic. And I think our family was in that weird foggy place that seemed real but now seems very unreal. We were doing as well as we could be expected to do - maybe better by some crazy standards written in some stupid grief book. But, I definitely have no memory of Easter. 

Thankfully, this year the world is slowly getting back to normal around here. We can go to church this year rather than huddle in our homes. We're going to dye Easter eggs, and Sadie came home for the weekend. There's more hope and more happiness. 

Going to church is really hard for me though. I love God. I really do. He makes me really mad - and I still struggle to understand this plan for my life. But, as someone told me recently when I said I am still upset with Him, "sometimes arguments make relationships stronger". How true! It felt so good to hear that and not be told that I need more faith or know that "it's not for us to understand God's plan". It doesn't mean that I have walked away. Nor does it mean that I stopped believing.

I can be upset and still have faith. I can be mad and still love. 

I can grieve and still have hope.

And Easter is the perfect time to see that hope. Everything about Easter speaks to my soul. It may not be a mere three days until we see those who are gone, but we know God will prevail and we will see them again. This earthly life isn't the end.

God's plan hasn't ever been very popular here on Earth, if you think about it. I bet He's frustrated everyone along the way. Famines, floods, death, crucifixion... you name it.... the suffering parts suck. But He always provides in the end. 

Of all the hurting and suffering in my life, I can see where the path was laid to take care of me along the way. Nothing made sense, and yet things fell in place when I was torn into a million pieces. God's love is full of hope. It's just not always easy to see when you're standing in the muck and mire. But it's there. And Easter, for me, is a great reminder of that.

As much as I abhor change, I think I'm learning to accept, even embrace, it more than ever before. Thinking about Easter and how it signifies a new beginning and redemption, I can see that I am living in a time of new beginning and redemption too. Unexpected change still chokes me up sometimes, but I've started pushing myself to do new things. Spending more time looking toward the future and getting excited about that future has been really good for me. 

Life is good. It's hard, but it's good. 

So this Easter I am taking the time to embrace all that is good and new and hopeful. I'm setting my frustration with God aside - for now - and being so very thankful. Thankful for renewal and redemption. Thankful that God does keep His promises, even when I don't understand the path to keeping them. And thankful for my future.

He is Risen.

He is Risen Indeed.






Comments

Popular Posts